Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fasting Coffee

Update: I apologize to my readership in advance for editing this post, but I felt it is expedient in the interest of propriety.  A friend of mine pointed out my error.  My regrets go out to my Shop.
 
Right now, however, I am laying off coffee altogether.  I am focusing my life's priorities on preparing to move and taking my coffee time to the park instead.  Coffee has always been a want, not a need; I have been careful to control my caffeine intake so that I do not become dependent on it.  Prayer and meditation first thing in the morning has helped me achieve a better clarity of thought and spirit.  The Rancilio sits unplugged, my press pots are empty, and my coffee canisters have found other functions (like magically reverting to Tupperware!).  I do not know how long my fast will last, whether it be 2 weeks or a few months, but I know that I like how I feel when I take the time first thing in the morning to put priorities in order.

Part of this initiative has been spurred by the tragic loss of my stepdad to a massive heart attack last month.  Coffee had nothing to do with his death.  This newfound lucidity has been valuable to me as my wife and I have been making decisions to move back to the Northeast.  I will resign my job where I worked for the past two years and move with my wife back Connecticut or Massachusetts.  Not only are dollars and dimes important, but so are family—much more so than greenbacks.  The winds of change are blowing yet again; let them carry us wherever they go.

1 comment:

Thehixrat said...

I just got back from a trip to the Northwest (honeymoon). Had some hairbender in Portland and a single origin espresso, that I cannot remember now, at 49th Paralell. Very tasty. I pray that the winds of change bring good things to your family, wallet, and your palate.

-Josh Hixson

Post a Comment

Please be judicious in your use of comments, and make sure you stay on topic. Spamming and 'ad hominem' attacks are NOT welcome on this blog, and repeat offenders will be BLACKLISTED! Comments are NOT the place where you plug yourself or your blog/website/product.